Altar Society – Our History:
On February 9, 1913, the women of St. John’s Parish organized a society. Father Martin Krmpotic bestowed the name Gospojinsko Oltarsko Drustvo Imena Isusova (Ladies Altar Society in the Name of Jesus). Sometime in 1932, Father Charles Stimac changed the neame to Majke Marijine (Mothers of Mary Altar Society). Today the Patroness of the Society is The Blessed Virgin Mary, Mother of God.
Until 1946, minutes from the meetings were recorded in Croatian. The purpose of the Altar Society was to raise money for the purchase of vestments for the Priest, Altar Boys, and the Altar Linens. Many of the these linens were hand sewed and the laces were hand crocheted. Sources of income at the time were provided by house to house money solicitations, Sunday afternoon coffees, card parties, dances, and poviticas and wind raffles. Later sources included ice cream socials and the Thanksgiving banquets. The purpose of the Altar Society extended beyond the needs of the Church. The Society sponsored fund raisers for the needs of the School and the Orphanage. Throughout the years clothing, food, and money were collected and distributed to those less fortunate.
Today our purpose has not changed. The Altar Society is in its 101st year of existence. Our purpose is to renew the faith of the women of St. John the Baptist and to look after the church altars, the church vestments, Liturgical supplies, and parish rectory needs. We support functions at Resurrection Catholic School, the Wyandotte County Pregnancy Clinic, and continue to fund raise through bake sales, dinners, raffles, and our Parish Social. Our Motto: To be charitable to the greater honor and glory of God.
All ladies who are members, former members, or spouses of former members of St. John the Baptist parish are welcomed to be members of the Altar Society. Membership is $5 a year.
Current Officers: Kelly Moutray (President), Connie Kolich (Vice President), Bernadette Horvat (Treasurer), Cynthia Wolf (Recording Secretary), Nancy Gasparovic (Financial Secretary), Sherri Ciliberti (Parish Council Representative).